Tarrasch is an extremely easy to use free chess program for Windows. Tarrasch comes with a free database and chess engines, (including Stockfish and the demo version of Houdini), so you get everything you need to enjoy computer chess with one simple download. Click here to download Tarrasch for Windows.
Tarrasch has recently been updated to Version 3, a dramatically enhanced version! Compared to the old Tarrasch Version 2, Tarrasch now has slick new database facilities, a tabbed workspace, sharper/resizable/colourful graphics, improved large file support, much faster editing.
Tarrasch is designed to to make it as easy as possible to perform some basic chess activities;
- Play a game against a chess engine, with either color, from any position, with a time handicap if desired.
- Setup an arbitrary position and get the engine to analyse that position. View and play through the analysis provided by the engine.
- Create and edit .pgn files (standard chess documents). Enter variations easily (just make moves anywhere). Enter and edit comments easily (just click anywhere and start typing). Promote and demote variations and even comments (so comments can change to moves and vice-versa – great for picking text off a website).
- Explore chess openings and navigate easily through large chess databases.
- Search chess databases for positions, patterns and material balances.
Important status information: The current Tarrasch version is V3.00a. A V3.01a version is planned for December to address a few minor issues with the recent major update. Also a note to users who participated in the V3 Beta program leading up to the V3 release in November: An issue with the Database Append feature in all the Beta versions means that player/site/event information in some games may have been spoiled by maintaining databases using that feature.
Last Update: 7 December 2016